Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Wedding Veil

 They said it was impossible.

We're too far apart

We're too attached to our homeland

We're too ambitious for our own good

We're too busy to give it time

But you sent me flowers that night, 

And was waiting by my house's gate

That late summer night.

With a smile on your face

And a shy, "Are you surprised?"


Beloved, my darling born in Winter's coldest night,

They said it will never work

That compromise is not in our blood

We're too strong

We're too hardheaded

We're too set in our own ways

We're too proud to give in

But I took the red-eye for half a day

To be there on your special day.

So sing for me, love. Smile.


For so long we were burdened 

By the question of "Why?"

Why were we alone for so long?

We tried. Oh, how we tried.

How we loved, how we hurt

Only to be left again and again.

To be told that we're not enough,

Or that we are too much.

When the only thing we ever asked for

Was for the loneliness to stop.


We thought it was impossible

And almost gave up.

Thinking that this was it.

This hollow shadow inside would

Never lighten up. 

But spring came and so did my letter.

You tried to ignore it.

I tried to forget it.

But summer came, and so did your letter.

A whole new world opened anew.


My dearest, my smiling darling born in winter

They said it will never work

My family don't like you

Your family don't like me

They don't like our choices

They don't like our compromises

But here we are, tears in our eyes

Facing each other, flowing in the music

Hearts aching as we make our vows.

I am yours. You are mine. Forever.


- RM . 05.12.2021

No comments:

Post a Comment