Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Don't Step Away



We promised forever that starry night
The next days were like a fairy tale
A never-ending dream that I begged for.
I did not want to wake up--
You are my beautiful sleepless dream.


The dream stretched and stretched
It was my one desire for it never to end.
Your smile brightened each morning
Your laughter brought light to the night.
I'll forever keep you here by my side.


Lost in each other, we grew closer
And closer still. Nothing too banal
For these two weirdos who laugh and cry
About everything and nothing.
Crazily normal we spent each day.


Suddenly the sweet dream turned
Into a nightmare that we could barely contain.
We held to each other, fighting,
Trying to control the fears and pains.
Wishing for the suffering to end.


Together we bent, we cried, we stood.
I carried you in your moments,
You lifted me up in my miseries.
Our dreams contained in our clasping hands.
Chasing a future, unsure, but with courage.


Limitations, possibilities, solutions
We suffered and conquered it all
We tried not to fall, time and again.
But when we did, we struggled to dream
Again. Again. Again.


You are brave, my sweet love
Braver than I--time and again.
You fought with me, for me, and against me.
I fought with you, for you and against you.
Through it all, we dwelled in our dream.


Together we stumbled, together we rose.
There were times when I was afraid,
I was too weak, and scared that you will
Run away, and leave me by myself.
I wanted to say: Don't step away. No.


Then I saw you step. Step. Step.
It was like the beginning of the end of me.
But you were there, closer and closer.
Holding out your hand to me.
You are my never-ending dream.


#RM

No comments:

Post a Comment