Thursday, April 6, 2017

Figment

The street was dark, shadows dancing to and fro,
Strong winds propelling me to walk faster.
Faster. The cold seeping into my bones.
Eager for the warmth of my own room.

Suddenly, a hand on my shoulder
Stopped me in my single-minded goal.
Startled, I choked on my scream and froze
For a second. Until you spoke.

"Where are you going on a rush?"
You asked while rubbing my cold hands.
Shaking, I answered:
"Home. It's too cold. I just want to go home."



You were clad in warm clothes,
A long knitted scarf hiding your smile when
You said, "Wear my gloves and walk close to me.
I'll bring you home."

The cold receded, and I forgot all about the wind.
I looked at your face, and said: "Okay."
My heart was pounding hard. Harder. Faster.
It has been months since we saw each other.

Walking the dark lonely, road home,
For once, I was not concerned about the dark.
Or the shadows that made me think of monsters
Creeping slowly behind me--scaring me.

The night was cloudy, the sky overcast,
But I felt like the stars were shining overhead,
The moon smiling over us.
I missed you so much.

I held your hand tighter; you held mine even more.
So many months of silence;
Of silent longings, tears, and wishing.
The wind was stirring stronger, but you're here.

Almost stumbling on a broken brick,
I felt your arm around my waist, steadying me.
Time stopped. For a second. For a minute.
I looked up and your eyes were smiling.

"Careful," you murmured as we continued.
I nodded; unable to voice my thanks.
I tried to look everywhere else but you.
But then you said, "Look at me."

I did. And you said, "I missed you."
I did, too. Too much. Too long.
"We're almost there," I said instead.
"I know," you said. I knew you didn't.

Awkwardly, we walked the tiny stairs,
I fumbled for my keys, opened my door.
I felt your hand on my back as I stepped inside.
And felt the loneliness of not having you by my side.


##RM
#WFYSeries








No comments:

Post a Comment