Saturday, May 16, 2020

Don’t Tell Me to Unlove You

Don’t tell me what to do
How to help you
Or show my love to you.
Don’t tell me to go
When you know I don’t want to.

When I see you down
Lying on the floor,
Trapped by heavy steels
And unable to rise,
Don’t tell me to walk away.

You can curse me all you want.
Curse me until you’re hoarse.
Curse me until you lose
Your breath that I am
Trying to salvage from
This wreckage.
But don’t expect me to go.

I may hurt myself trying
To find ways to save you.
But love, I will still try.
And I will succeed.
You won’t be down for long.
Even if you hate it,
I will rescue you.

Even if no one else helps
As we try to survive the fire,
And the burning melts around.
As my hands stumble on 
Makeshift levers on the ground,
This I vow: You will survive.

I have no intentions to die.
No. I am no masochist.
No. I don’t want pain.
But I will brave this,
I will be brave for both of us
Until we both get out of here.

So yell some more.
Be angry with me
For staying—and forcing you
To stand up and move.
I don’t care.
Don’t tell me what to do
Because I can’t unlove you.


- RM

No comments:

Post a Comment