Saturday, August 15, 2020

Don't Promise Me the World

 Don't promise the world

I won't believe you.

My mind is practical

And no more romantic

Than a can filled with sand

By the filthy shore.


Don't expect me 

To fall at your feet

As you lavish me with gifts.

I am not a toy,

Or a digger looking

For the comfortable

And common.


Do not be surprised

If I demand equal rights.

I do not want to be

A man.

What I want is to be

Treated like an equal

With great minds.


My opinions are mine.

I do not expect you

To believe them or adhere.

What I need is for you

Not to treat them as trash.

I need arguments and discussions

Not to be patronized.


You are welcome to be angry. 

I am crazy most times.

I am angry most times.

But never touch me in anger

Or you will find yourself

In a corner seeing stars.


Don't promise me the world.

I can't do it for you.

What I can promise

Is that I will love you

Mind, crazy as it may be;

Body, you know me;

Soul, the half of mine.

I promise.


#TTMIWM


No comments:

Post a Comment